Sage Grouse Initiative Job: Malta, Montana
January 9, 2014
JOB VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Sage Grouse Initiative
Range and Wildlife Conservationist
Application Deadline: Open until filled, or until 14th February 2014, whichever is earlier. Location: Malta, Montana; Anticipated Start Date: 3rd March 2014
Overview: This Montana Association of Conservation Districts (MACD) position is part of a collaborative effort that includes the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and Intermountain West Joint Venture (IWJV), to further the delivery of the NRCS Sage-Grouse Initiative. The position provides rangeland technical assistance for the Sage- Grouse Initiative and associated Farm Bill conservation programs to agriculture producers and landowners. The incumbent will be an employee of MACD with daily instruction and leadership provided by NRCS District Conservationist.
NOTE: This position is funded until July, 2016.
• Provide technical assistance (range conservation and biology focus) and guidance to landowners, government agencies, non-government organizations (NGO’s) and others. Training will be provided by NRCS, IWJV, MACD, and other local and state agencies.
• Coordinate the implementation and application of range biological sciences within the conservation programs in cooperation with the local NRCS District Conservationist and others.
• Complete contracts, applications and other required documentation for Farm Bill conservation programs (i.e. EQIP, WHIP, FRPP, GRP, and WRP) requiring rangeland science expertise in cooperation with the partners.
• Communicate program requirements, complete site visits to determine eligibility, and develop contracts/plans for applicants enrolling in USDA conservation programs or other state and local rangeland conservation programs for the protection, restoration and enhancement of sage-grouse habitat.
• Coordinate and participate in field work activities for sage-grouse habitat project implementation and work with agricultural producers.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with landowners and partner agencies. • Ability to work independently with little supervision and with diverse clientele. • Experience with range inventory procedures. • Knowledge of range science and wildlife ecology, including the ability to develop prescribed grazing plans that
include range management objectives. • Able to obtain USDA Security Clearance and NRCS Conservation Planning certification. • Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills. • V alid driver’ s license. • A general qualification guideline for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Rangeland Science from an
accredited university with an emphasis on developing prescribed grazing systems and course work and/or experience on integrating wildlife management principles into range management systems.
Training and Experience Guideline: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Salary: $37,000 – 42,000 per year based on experience + Health and Retirement Benefits. To Apply: Send a resume, three references with contact information, and responses to the following:
1. 2. 3. 4.
Describe your experience working with landowners. What is your philosophy on sage-grouse conservation? How do you self-motivate your work activities when working alone? Where do you see your career in five years?
Email: Send application materials to , and . MACD is an equal opportunity employer